Friday, December 9, 2011

Bubble It In

I am quite torn on the issue of affirmative action. I find myself agreeing with the arguments on both sides of the issue. I believe in the equality that affirmative action policies are trying to create however I am not sure it is the most effective solution to pursue, nor do I believe that it should be the only solution that is supported by the government. As we have discussed all semester, the situation we find ourselves in today is in all ways a product of the historical development of this country. There is plenty of research that shows that students who are supported by a generation or generations of college educated adults are more likely to pursue a college education. Additionally, individuals with a college education are more likely to be employed and or ‘earn’ a higher salary than individuals who do not possess this distinction. Lastly, at this point in time, it is quite clear to me that the “American Dream” is a myth. Hard work, while it is a very valuable skill and certainly can assist one in upward mobility, cannot make up for all other shortfalls or lack of opportunity an individual might be faced with overcoming. To reach a place where all children in the United States have equal privilege and opportunity to obtain a college degree, among other things, we must be doing more than just focusing on the admission rates into institutions of higher learning.

When it comes to Affirmative Action, I understand the need for our society to overcome admission and hiring biases that are the result of a legacy of violence against and oppression of minorities. I do wonder however how minorities, specifically African Americans feel about this policy. Are they in support of it or do they perceive increased racial tension or a doubting of their abilities within school or the workplace?

In thinking about the Affirmative Action policies in the United States I began to wonder how other countries navigate these waters. I did a little digging and found a lot of valuable information about similar Affirmative Action policies within other countries. Below I share a few quick summaries with you.

Canada: The Canadian Employment Equity Act states that employers in federally-regulated industries have to give preferential treatment to four designated groups: Women, people with disabilities, aboriginal people, and visible minorities. For example, in most Canadian Universities, people of Aboriginal background normally have lower entrance requirements and are eligible to receive exclusive scholarships.

Japan: In Japan, it is illegal to include sex, ethnicity, or other social background in criteria of the entrance exam used for admission to universities and all government positions.

1 comment:

  1. I have struggled with the idea of affirmative action as well. While in I understand why it is in place, in some ways it seems to oppose the very thing that it is supposed to support: equality. And I have also wondered about how minorities feel about the policy. It sort of seems a little condescending, perhaps implying that they are inadequate and would not be able to accomplish their goals on their own. But on the other hand, if I were a member of a minority and this policy was going to help me go to and pay for college, it is the last thing that I would be complaining about, no matter how I feel about it's implications.

    ReplyDelete