Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm not racist. I have black friends.

In Beyond the Beats and Rhymes, Byron Hurt runs into a young male who enlightens him on the difference between “sisters” and “bitches.” I remember relevant stories from my time in Mississippi almost constantly while in class, and when I heard this young man speaking about the arbitrary classification of women, the reasoning was almost identical to the rednecks that tried to explain to me the difference between a “nigger” and “black person.” From my understanding of what they were saying, a “nigger” is a person of African descent who does anything of which you do not approve, most often related to fashion or speech as if it was some sort of legitimate and elaborate philosophy on race. This discussion was always preceded by them saying “nigger” and my subsequent request that they not use it in front of me. These southern gentlemen would then become immediately defensive as if to show off their deep nature, saying almost verbatim, “Oh, I’m not racist. I’m friends with a lot of black people. There is a difference…” While these examples are obvious, I think it reveals something about racism and its manifestations today. The vast majority of people know that making blanket derogatory statements about women or another race is offensive, but it seems their “loophole” has been to recognize that there are exceptions to their claims: “I’m not talking about all *insert category of people*, just the ones that *insert property here*.” When they recognize exceptions, they are no longer making “unfair” generalizations. Instead, they imply that the benefit of the doubt has been given before judgment, making them realists as opposed to a sexists or racists. At least, that is what they seem to believe. I greatly enjoy reading the New York Times and watching Fox News so I thought I would provide a few related media stories and ask if you agree with my interpretation of modern racism in light of the recent Herman Cain events.

Last month, I read an article in the “Opinion Pages” of the NYT that pulls this idea together perfectly called “The Cain Scrutiny.” It outlines the controversy surrounding Herman Cain and his affair with Sharon Bialek, a blonde white woman. In class, we have heard how this was the worst nightmare of many southern whites throughout slavery and Jim Crow. In the article, Ross Douthat, the author, points this out and notes how conservative media giants, who are popularly tagged as racist, such as Rush Limbaugh unexpectedly supported Cain in spite of the allegations. If you are not familiar with Limbaugh, he is the same guy who claimed that Michelle Obama was booed at a NASCAR race last month for, and I quote, “uppity-ism.” In addition, if you have not seen Ann Coulter on Sean Hannity discussing “why our (conservative) blacks are so much better than their (liberal) blacks” in terms of how much she loves Herman Cain, it is an absolute MUST watch and the perfect example of what I am talking about. Throughout all of these and particularly the Ann Coulter interview, these people believe that publicly announcing their support of Herman Cain proves their open-mindedness. Regardless of whether or not it is true, these people are hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. What you talked about is such a relevant issue right now. The quote "I'm not racist, I have black friends" is one that I've heard countless times, and almost always, the two are not mutually exclusive. The loophole statement that you talk about is a fascinating concept. It seems its only purpose is to allow people to say insensitive and offensive things, while reassuring others that they are not insensitive, offensive people because they give everyone a chance to part of the exception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post as well. I mean just because a person has "black friends" does not make them immune to being a racists. I think in actuality, it gives them a bit of a cushion to still exert their racist behavior because they are confident that it will be accepted in a joking manner. I mean I have "white friends", but I can't honestly say that that has stopped or even avoided me from being racist because though I don't consider myself as a racist person, I do believe that everyone has racist tendencies simply because we are so different. I don't think this will ever be resolved because I don;t think people really know what racism is and because we will never all be the exact same being or person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post is intriguing, because it is so relevant. Everyone has typically experienced a situation like this, or they are fortunate to have not to. And, I don't think the issue gets brought up enough. Not just in the excuse for using derogatory language, but also in the rationalization of racist tendencies, both direct and indirect. An individual doesn't have to accost or call out another individual on their ethnic difference to be considered racist. Tendencies extend beyond just rude and disgusting behavior. That is, a lot of our racist tendencies are subconscious, and therefore not manifested as easily. I believe these subconscious standards are more of a threat than behavior, because they are the base for the behavior anyways.

    ReplyDelete