Friday, December 9, 2011

What’s wrong with BLACK Girls? Do you believe the STERERO-TYPES?

Though I grew up in what you guys have learned as “the hood” or “the ghetto,” I have never allowed it to limit any aspect of my life if I had any control over the matter. Throughout my life, I have dated mainly black boys/men, but I was never scared to venture out and date other ethnicities. So, when I became a student at Rhodes, my main motive was not to date a “white-boy” because my education was first at-hand, but I just wanted to become better acquainted with some. But to my surprise, the white guys at Rhodes really didn’t acknowledge my presence let along look at me, but it was totally different with a white female. So, I knew they were attracted to girls, but I guess something was wrong with BLACK girls like me. Though I was disappointed, I was more intrigued to why they acted this way. It was if they feared trying something different, or just simply didn’t like how black girls looked. So, I took it upon myself to ask a few white guys how they felt about black girls, and they all responded in a very similar fashion. Some thought we were “crazy,” some believed that our brothers/family would harm them, and some even felt intimated by our “blackness.” These truly amazed me because it validated the fact that they believed the stereotypes of black women, and how we are portrayed in the media, etc. I couldn’t completely blame them for their beliefs because maybe that’s how they were raised or they were never given the opportunity to get to know a “black girl” on that level. Who knows? I became angry at the fact that even after some of them had been surrounded by black girls as fellow students, they still ignored our beauty, feminism, and the fact that we were women as well. I hate that some men feel this way about black women because though there are some who embody such stereotypes, there still are many black women who are extraordinary. In addition, I have been exposed to stereotypes about white men such as “they are corny and lame,” “they can’t dress and have no swag,” and “they are “shaky.” I never let those beliefs interfere with me becoming acquainted and learning the true essence of a white male because I think ignorance is the greatest self-destruction. Though I have yet to date a white guy, I am glad I took the initiative to ask them “Hey, what’s wrong with a black girl?”

No comments:

Post a Comment